Friday, March 18, 2016

Things I Like: Spring Edition

American Crime Story: The People v. OJ -  The People v. OJ Simpson is my new not-so-guilty pleasure.  Forget Cuba Gooding Jr.- he doesn't play O.J. with nearly enough charisma, intelligence, or physical presence to be interesting.  OJ was a narcissist and a psychopath but he wasn't dumb (and yes, he did it).  

The People v. OJ Simpson is less about OJ than it is about the lawyers on both sides of the case.  The star of the show is Courtney B. Vance as Johnny Cochran.  Vance's Cochran is the king of "nice/nasty," and  every time he uses the word "brother" it has a different connotation. 
The scene where Cochran faces off against Christopher Darden in court over the N-word had me yelling at the television.  Cochran's interactions with Marcia Clark betray his sexist and classist tendencies, but they are fun to watch.  The People v. OJ Simpson is over the top, campy, and thought provoking at the same time.  


Ruby, by Cynthia Bond - I'm always curious when writers are compared to Toni Morrison.  It's as if literary critics are looking for Morrison's successor before she's even passed away.  Nevertheless, Ruby is a great novel filled with vivid imagery, symbolism, and descriptive language.  Case in point: "The man was patient-like he'd learned sweets after spinach early in life."


Banana Coconut Porridge @ Solomon and Kuff - After a week of semi-successfully attempting a no carb diet, I saw this dish listed on the menu of Solomon and Kuff and dreamed about it for days.  A girl cannot live on veggie omelets alone, so I convinced James and Kyle to come Sunday Brunch with me to sample it. The service at Solomon and Kuff was abysmal, but the food and drinks were great, and the porridge did not disappoint.



JUDYTHEFOODIE - When my cheat day turns into a cheat week, I look at my friend Judy's Instagram @judythefoodie for inspiration.  Her motto is "eat the rainbow," and her meals are primarily home-cooked and filled with protein, vegetables, and healthy carbs.  


Nars Audacious Lipstick in Anita - I was a loyal MAC customer until Nicole turned me onto Nars lipsticks and I haven't turned back since.  I'm always on the lookout for a good neutral lipstick, and this one is the perfect combination of pink and brown.  The formula is moisturizing and long-lasting. Happy Spring!

Things I'm looking forward to this season: Seeing Eclipse on Broadway, visiting The French Manor Inn and Spa, and seeing the Cherry Blossoms at The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.



No comments:

Post a Comment