Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Oh, The Places You'll Go (For Free)


If left to my own devices, I would probably spend my summer vacation in bed watching reality television and then feeling guilty about it.  Because my natural tendency is to be an introvert, I have to be proactive about contacting friends and planning activities so that my days off feel productive.  Below are a few of the free or low cost things that I have been enjoying.

The MET Roof Garden Cafe and Martini Bar:
Technically, the Metropolitan Museum of Art isn't free unless you have an IDNYC card.  Luckily, entrance into the museum is a "donation" of your choosing.  This year's installation, Cornelia Parker's PsychoBarn, is inspired by Norman Bates' home in the1960 film Psycho.  The 30 foot exhibit is striking, but the real appeal of the Roof Garden is the view and the deliciously strong cocktails.  James, Kyle, and I celebrated the beginning of summer by rediscovering the joys of day drinking, while Chloe took advantage of the rare opportunity to have a Coke. 


Summer Exhibits @ The Studio Museum in Harlem: 
Chloe is more into performance art than visual art, but I drag her along to the exhibits at The Studio Museum with me anyway. She is good company and I use the museum as an opportunity to work on her communication and critical thinking skills. As we take in the exhibits I ask her questions like: 
  • Why do you think the artist made this choice? 
  • What painting do you like best? 
  • What does this remind you of? 
Alma Thomas's collection of vibrant mosaics is perfect for summer; the light and the color serve as excellent art therapy after the depressing news week.  Also check out Artist in Residence Jordan Casteel's portraits of men who work along 125th Street.  The Studio Museum is open Thursday- Sunday, and it is free on Sundays.

Macbeth @ The Classical Theater of Harlem:
Sometimes I feel like I am the only English teacher in America who isn't into Shakespeare, but I jumped at the chance to see Macbeth in Marcus Garvey Park with Jackie.  The drumming, dancing, and fabulous costumes held my attention and enhanced my understanding of the play.  Watching a performance under the stars with lightening bugs twinkling in the sky was a beautiful experience.  Bring insect repellent for the mosquitos and a pillow.  A bottle of wine wouldn't hurt either! Macbeth is playing  July 8- 31st. Tuesday - Sunday the show begins at 8pm and on Friday it begins at 8:30.

Orchard Beach:
For the record, I am not a beach person but Chloe is and she has found a kindred spirit in RM (who insisted that I add Orchard Beach to this post).  Orchard Beach was known as "The Riviera of New York" when it was created in the 1930's on top of a landfill using sand brought in on barges.  Interestingly, the beach is near where Anne Hutchinson was killed by Native Americans after being chased out of the Masssschsets colony in 1638.  Orchard Beach is around 30 minutes from Harlem, and it is clean and well staffed by lifeguards.  There is a family atmosphere (tell your child that the person selling "nutcrackers" is  selling toys) and people are friendly.  Get there early so that you can stake out a spot and try the chicken empanadas sold at the concession stand.  



No comments:

Post a Comment