Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Fashion Inspiration: Stella Jean

Winter is here and the harsh weather is upon us.  I'm tired of wearing black, grey, ivory, and camel to work everyday, and I'm becoming too fond of a certain pair of sweatpants.  As Andre Leon Talley says, "It's a famine of beauty – a famine of beauty, honey!! My eyes are starving for beauty!" 
Not Impressed.  I don't blame him.
Luckily, Aídah introduced me to the work of Haitian-Italian designer Stella Jean, and it is a much needed jolt of fashion inspiration in this dreary season. Anyone who knows me knows that I love a print (if it's African print that's even better). Furthermore, the bold colors and high waisted skirts of Stella Jean are just my style.  I love the way that Jean mixes traditional African fabrics with cotton tees,  chambray and oxford shirts.
Prints Courtesy of J.Crew and 125th Street
Speaking of her work, Stella Jean says "The stylish mixture never strays into caricature or parody, remembering that knowledge and respect should never be subordinate to latitude, but instead must be a a priority."  Despite this sentiment, and the fact that she uses fabrics crafted by people in "disadvantaged" communities in Africa-it was hard to find pictures of women of color in her runway shows.  Some of the images of her work are arresting in the fact that they are beautiful, yet veer into domain of costume.
As ALT says, "that's too much fashion!"
Unfortunately, seeking legitimacy in fashion means embracing whiteness even if you are creating magic with "ethnic" fabrics.  Since that is the case, my hope is that she collaborates with J.Crew.  I love her work and wish that I could afford it!  (What is fashion if not rich with irony!?!)
Stella Jean

Director Ava Durvernay in Stella Jean
Read more about Stella Jean here.
See pictures of Rihanna wearing Stella Jean here.

No comments:

Post a Comment