Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My Classroom is a Monarchy!

This is the fist time in my teaching career that I haven't taught black students or had the flexibility to design my own curriculum.  Consequently, this has also been the first year that I haven't taught novels by people of color (or with female protagonists for that matter).  I miss teaching The Bluest Eye,  but this new environment has forced me to learn and grow.

I definitely miss this class!
I believe that the purpose of education is, in part, to develop empathy by exposing students to the inner worlds of others.  Even if I am not going to be able to do that through Ralph Ellison, Zora Neale Huston, or Sherman Alexie, I am determined to work social justice into my curriculum somewhere!

All private schools talk the talk about the importance of diversity, and this year the theme at my school has been socio-economic diversity.  That is my way in! And here's why it is important:

One day early in the school year the 6th graders and I were discussing the gubernatorial elections and looking at various social and political issues.  It surprised me how economically conservative, yet socially liberal many of my 6th graders were (students at The Storefront tended to be the opposite).  I ended up being disturbed by the conversation because some of my students' opinions about why people are poor would make the staunchest conservatives cringe (they are lazy, they didn't take advantage of their education, they have too many children, they waste money, etc.)  It is disconcerting to hear such stringent political views from kids who are still carrying baby fat.  Here is an except from one of our conversations:

Fabulously Dressed Teacher: Why are people poor?
Student: Because they don't work hard and didn't do well in school.
Fabulously Dressed Teacher: Well, you didn't do your homework today; does that mean you are going to be poor?
Student:  No way, my family is rich.


Obviously, this is me.
There was clearly a disconnect.

In response I decided to show them the documentary The Queen of Versailles, which is about the family of David and Victoria Siegel.  The start of the film shows the family lavishing in the excess provided by their billionaire lifestyle, but then slowly deteriorating as the economy does.  Students love this documentary because it's really character driven and it unfolds like a Greek tragedy.   I love it because it illustrates how all of the stereotypes that they associate with the poor apply directly to this family as well.

Photo: Magnolia Pictures
Students get excited about researching "where are they now" stories about characters in documentaries and this film provides lot of opportunity to do so.  The Siegels are now suing the filmmakers for defamation and have been attempting to do damage control with a reality show.

Photo: New York Times
In Social Studies we have been learning about different forms of government (monarchy, oligarchy, tyranny) and the development of democracy in Ancient Greece.  We have also looked at the difference between direct democracy and representative democracy.

This week I am going to have my students read the following article.  Afterwards, students will:

1.  Define irony (review of a concept from English class)
2.  Identify two examples of irony in this article
(Possible answers: Siegel said that he would be forced to lay off workers if Obama was elected, but has ended up richer than ever.  Siegel criticizes a system that "gives to the unproductive" when that statement describes many of the members of his household.)
3.  Describe two things that Seigel has done in order to influence the votes of his 8000 employees.
(Possible answers: Siegel put anti-Gore articles in the paychecks of his workers.  Seigel told workers that Obama's election would force him to fire workers.)
4. Discuss the following questions:
-Do Seigal's actions go against the ideals of democracy?
-If  Seigel's company, Westgate Resorts, was a country; what type of government would it be?  Why?
-If our classroom was a government, what type would it be?  What kind of crown would the queen wear?

Just kidding about the last question (kinda)







No comments:

Post a Comment