Friday, September 11, 2015

Adventures in Dining

Consider the following scenario:

Two black women in their late twenties are having a glass of rosé over dinner at a trendy soul food restaurant on The Lower East Side.  The (slightly) more attractive one* sits in front of an earthenware bowl filled with rice and chicken.  “Excuse me,” she says using the wing in her hand to flag down the waiter, “Can I have another wing . . . a full one . . . because this one is like . . . cut off.”   DID THIS FOOL JUST ATTEMPT TO SEND BACK ONE CHICKEN WING?”


The waiter comes over eager to please, “of course.  I will get the kitchen working on another wing for you.”  The woman continues to pick at her food while telling her companion about her honeymoon in Dubai.  Then she says, “You know, I think that I’m going to exchange this for something else . . . Waiter!”

“Hi, we have the kitchen working on your chicken wing . . . sorry about that.”

“Actually, I don’t really like this.  The rice is cold.  I’d like to get something else.  May I take another look at the menu?”

“The rice is supposed to be cold, but, umm, sure.”

While the woman looks over her menu, the manager comes to the table, confounded but painfully polite and asks about the woman’s dish.

“I’m sorry.  I just didn’t like it.  I thought that it would be spicier, and the chicken just wasn’t tasty.”**

“Oh, Ok.  We’d be happy to exchange it with something else on the menu.”

The waiter comes back and asks the woman what she would like, and she says, “you know what, I don’t see anything else that I want.  I think that I’m just going to eat her side dish.”


Am I the only person who thinks that this is the height of tackiness?  Or am I being too hard on this woman?  If you order something that you don't like is it ok to send it back without feeling obligated to order something else?

Opinions please . . .


*SHADE
** I don't even like chicken, but the chicken at this place is GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment