Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Elements of Style

A co-worker told me today that when she was growing up she wanted to become a teacher because of the style! She reminisced about seeing her teachers in monochromatic pencil skirts, fitted blazers, and chic heels. We laughed about the mess that we had gotten ourselves into in the name of fashion, but agreed that it was fun to have a job that requires us to wear pretty things everyday!  Here is a list of my current favorites:

Naomi and I are in it for the fashion!
1. Wrap Dress: This Banana Republic dress is my go-to uniform;  I have quite a few in different colors and prints.  Wrap dresses are great because they can be dressed up or down, and they are a good blank slate for accessories.  Plus, this particular dress is washable and rarely needs ironing.  The Gap sometimes comes out with wrap dresses in cute prints, but beware of Old Navy wrap dresses because they tend to be too short for work.  I always wait for 40% of sales, which seem to be happening on a weekly basis at Banana Republic online.  Plus,  the Banana Republic Factory Store on 125th Street offers a teacher's discount with valid ID.

2. Statement Necklace: Any one who knows me knows that I love a good necklace.  When I was younger I had my ears pierced and developed keloids that had to be removed by a plastic surgeon.  I never had my ears pierced again, and since my lobes are always bare, I choose to wear my jewels around my neck. My favorite pieces are from J. Crew, and of course, I never pay full price for anything!

This Midsummer Statement Necklace is definitely on my wish list!
4. Suede Booties: Recently, I had been eyeing a pair of these boots at J.Crew, but they were too expensive to pay for so late into the season.  Plus, I was concerned about spending a lot of money on light colored boots when there has been so much snow, ice, and slush on the ground.  On a whim, I decided to visit the Nine West Outlet on 125th Street while Chloe was getting her hair braided and found these for around 30.00.  They were having a buy one get a second pair 50% off sale, and I wish that I had gotten another pair.  These boots are as comfortable as flats, and a welcome relief from wearing ugly rain boots everyday.



3. Downing Tote: I have two of these bags and they are stylish and utilitarian- cute yet sturdy. Mine carries a laptop, a Kindle, several books, papers, a water bottle, keys, wallet, and various lipsticks- and the straps have not come close to breaking yet.  This would be a great item to have monogrammed.





No comments:

Post a Comment