Saturday, February 21, 2015

This is What 48 Looks Like in My Family!


How old are you?  48

What's your beauty philosophy?

Beauty is individuality and the enhancement of that individuality. 
I was considered unattractive as a teen and young adult.  I did not fit the “standard of beauty” in the 80’s and 90’s of blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin.   I have small almond-shaped brown eyes, a yellow-based complexion and a round face.  Before yellow-based foundations and powders became available on the market, I mixed my own at home. Today, they are standard and cosmetic companies have come to recognize that women come in a spectrum of glorious color and offer a range of complexion shade choices to incorporate individual needs.  Grant you,  it took a long time.  For me, Iman’s original cosmetics line that was launched at JCPenney’s was the first to address my needs.  I remember being so excited about the line that I rushed to JCP to get a foundation (that I didn’t have to mix).  I purchased the color Sand.        
 
Iman Cosmetics Foundation Shades: Sand, Clay, Earth 
Who do you look to for beauty inspiration? 

My beauty icon is Elizabeth Taylor, yet I looked to the late Kevyn Aucoin for beauty inspiration.  While Elizabeth Taylor was gorgeous naturally, Kevyn Aucoin showed me how to apply makeup in creative ways that enhanced my features and not cover them.  He saw all women as beautiful not to be compared to one another, but celebrated for what each possessed in her own right.  I have freckles.  In my younger time, freckles were seen as ugly and you never saw a woman on the cover of a magazine with freckles.  I spent my time in high-school and college always trying to cover them with thick, heavy makeup.  Now, I focus on highlighting my face versus hiding anything.


Describe your skin care routine. 

I have combination skin leaning more towards oily.  I am an international beauty junkie.  I use products from all over the world.  I exfoliate my skin in the morning with a product that comes from Japan.  Although it is removing dead cells, it is very gentle.  Then, I use Vitamin C serum followed by sunscreen SPF 50.  At night, I use a baby wipe to remove my makeup from my face.  I use a liquid makeup remover for the eyes separately.  Then, I cleanse my face, use toner, a skin treatment and a moisturizer. 


At Grandma's 90th Birthday Celebration
What are some of the things in your make-up bag that are tried and true and you can't live without? 

CONCEALER – I cannot live without concealer.  I use it to highlight the inner areas of the face.  I have several and have tested many over the years.  Currently, I have MAKE UP FOR EVER Full Cover Extreme Camouflage Cream, LA MER Radiant Concealer, DIOR Diorskin Star Concealer and URBAN DECAY Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer.  All provide outstanding, luminous coverage and have enormous staying power. 
 
La Mer Radient Concealer


COMPACT – I always carry a compact for touch-ups and sometimes use compact powder in place of foundation.  Currently, I am rotating between LORAC’s POREfection Baked Perfecting Powder (full coverage-as foundation), HOURGLASS’s Ambient Lighting Powder (light to medium coverage) and EM COSMETICS Love Me For Me Flawless Finish Powder Compact (medium to full coverage).  All provide a flawless skin appearance.


LIP PENCIL – With a great lip pencil you can create a fantastic pout with or without lipstick or lip gloss.  My ride-or-die lip pencils are BEN NYE Lip Colour Pencil in Nude and MAKE UP FOR EVER No. 23.  Unfortunately, these can only be purchased through a theatrical makeup store in the U.S.




What are some of the new things you've picked up lately that you're obsessed with?

AMAZING COSMETICS Line Smoother + Primer – An outstanding under makeup primer.  It provides a silky finish on your skin and makes your foundation flawless.

GERARD COSMETICS Color Your Smile Lip Gloss – This gloss is inexpensive and beats all other lip glosses regardless of price hands down.  The pigment is outstanding and it lasts.  Extras include a side mirror and a LED light in the cap.
Gerard Cosmetics Color Your Smile Lip Gloss


TARTE COSMETICS Tarteist Clay Paint Liner – This black only eyeliner has a consistency that is thicker than a liquid eyeliner, yet thinner than a gel eyeliner.  It is the best of both worlds and it doesn’t smudge once set.  In addition, it comes with its own eyeliner brush.























No comments:

Post a Comment