Saturday, December 20, 2014

Homemade Love

I met Jackie my freshmen year of college. I'm not sure what drew us together; she was a year ahead of me and definitely more outgoing and ambitious than I am. Nevertheless we became fast friends. Over the years we've shared secrets, tears, laughter, books, music - and a love for MAC Oh Baby lipgloss. 

I've always admired Jackie's brave approach to life and her unwavering loyalty and commitment to those she cares about.  Last year Jackie and I were texting about our various romantic entanglements and I remarked that she was "a candle in the darkness for blind fools." (We text in metaphors and literary references because we're nerdy like that!) Her response was "where in the hell is my light? Where's my candle?" We laughed about it, but it was a profound moment. 

This Saturday we drove up to The Heights to celebrate Jackie's birthday with her friends Judy and Ana. Judy is an amazing hostess and cook with a beautiful apartment (isn't it amazing when you go to someone's house and they have all the same books that you do? Even the obscure ones that you thought no one else loved?)

Our kids played in the living room as we drank red wine and water out of Mason Jars and feasted on homemade guacamole, turkey chili, and cornbread muffins. We discussed a myriad of topics: work, education, love, parenthood, and politics.  


At the end of the night Jackie blew out the candles on the first birthday cake that she has had since she was six. I hope that Judy, Ana, and I showed her that we are her light. And she is ours. 


Judy's Yummy Guacamole Recipe:


You will need 3 ripe haas avocados, 1/2 cup of fresh diced cilantro, 1 diced red tomato (Roma or Vine), 1/3 cup of diced red onion, 1 lime cut in half, kosher or sea salt and course black pepper to taste.

Peel the avocado and mash gently with a fork in a medium size bowl

Mix in the diced cilantro, diced red onion and diced tomato, stir gently for chunkier guacamole or stir more for a smoother guacamole 

Squeeze in half the lime, add salt and pepper to taste and fold into the guacamole. Add more lime and salt and pepper as you see fit. 

Makes about 6-8 servings 

No comments:

Post a Comment