Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Lipstick Index

Preach!
Every woman should have a signature style. Growing up in the 80's and 90's mine was unconsciously influenced by Sade.  The glowing skin, red lips, and simple hair were as mesmerizing and timeless as her music.

I dabble in shocking pink, taupe, aubergine, and tangerine, but my signature lip color is now red.  Red Lipstick is affordable glamour and armor against foolishness. Most men that I've dated prefer a more natural look (one grey bearded gentleman went as far as declaring my make-up "awful"). Frankly, I could care less. I get dressed for myself and my lipstick makes me happy! Furthermore, if a man wants to see me without lipstick there are ways of getting it off (ie. taking me to Buddakan and feeding me so many General Tso's dumplings that it gets smudged and I'm forced to take it off).
1996 & 2014: My style has been pretty consistent since college
My students are so used to seeing me wear red that one day when I wore a gold-flecked gloss a 5th grader said "what's the matter Ms. Cardwell, are you sick?"

Nicole introduced me to Nars Vesuvio, my new favorite lipstick.

The texture is matte but not drying, and the color is a perfect red: not too blue and not to yellow. I could wear it every day with every outfit, but this lipstick is so good that I save it for when I need an extra dose of cuteness and confidence. Other Nars colors I like are Fire Down Below (a deeper brick red), Mascate  (a more burgundy red) and Jungle Red (a brighter blue based red). 

Carol favors cult favorite Cruella. If you like your red lipstick really matte this is the red for you.  Carol loves that it's appropriate for work and drinks after. It's incredibly long-wearing yet it conditions the lips, and it doesn't make her look like the joker (her words not mine). 


For more images of beautiful black women wearing red lipstick visit The Dark Skin Red Lip Project. This project was founded by blogger Karyn Washington who recently succumbed to depression.  



No comments:

Post a Comment