Saturday, December 20, 2014

Why Didn't Carrie Have These Issues?

Usually, I'm not one to complain; I think that it's unattractive and I despise conflict.  However,  yesterday was a comedy of very expensive errors, so I will make an exception.

Weeks ago, before I started at Dwight, I planned a fabulous brunch with my girlfriends.  We are all  busy with careers, relationships, and children so we have to make an effort to reconnect.   Friendships are like any other relationship; you have to put time and effort in cultivating them if you want them to thrive.  I chose BLVD Bistro, on 122nd and Lenox, for this event because the food is amazing and I love supporting black owned businesses in Harlem.  Even though I was slightly irritated that I had to leave a credit card to make a reservation, I understood the policy because it was a large party.

The morning of the event everything seemed to be on track; I even got a text message reminding me of the reservation.  However, ten minutes before we were all supposed to meet I received a voicemail saying that there was an "incident" at the restaurant and they were going to be unable to take our party.  WTF!?!  When Chloe and I arrived there were people eating outside, but the dining room was empty.  Mikita told them that that she had driven all the way from NJ to eat there; she was given an apology but no further explanation or offer of dispensation.  I don't know if someone got shot, the oven broke, they over booked, or a celebrity called and reserved the restaurant at the last minute.


Luckily I was able to call Vinateria, on 119th and Fredrick Douglass Boulevard and make a reservation for ten people.  Unfortunately, that meant that we had to walk several blocks in shoes that were definitely not made for walking!  Nonetheless it was great to see everyone, to gossip, and to laugh. We are all different colors with different hair textures and body types.  We work in various fields; some of us are single, some of are married; some have children and some don't.  Within our group we have several world travelers, a German speaker, and a Phd.


However, what we share is self-confidence and a common pursuit of happiness.  Our conversation ranged from curriculum planning to The Singles Project.  From interracial relationships to  Madame CJ Walker.  From travel to the latest lipsticks from Nars and Bobbi Brown. From fitness and nutrition to girdles and plastic surgery.  Sometimes it's necessary to bask in the glow of our own fabulosity!

Brunch Fashion: Fall Edition
The food at Vinateria was standard brunch fare, but the decor is chic and the Cilantro Margaritas are always tasty.  The service was slow but the waitress was sweet and apologetic.  Unfortunately, she made a mistake when running my debit card and charged me three times what I should have paid. Although she voided the transaction, the money won't be back in my account for days.  Grrrr . . . why is it that Chase Bank can take money from your account immediately, but it takes forever for them to return it?

Definitely one of my favorite drinks in Harlem
However, the majority of my ire is directed toward the Mirror Salon at Carol's Daughter.   They are ridiculously overpriced, but they are one of the few salons that cater to natural hair in Manhattan.  Recently, Carol's Daughter has been in the news for filing bankruptcy, but I continue to take Chloe there because she usually has a pleasant experience there.  However, the last time I took her to get her hair done the stylist did not finish the hairstyle, and had the nerve to try to conceal it with a bun.  A week later when I took out Chloe's ponytail I discovered that the entire crown of her head was not even braided!

The sign isn't the only thing that is backwards about Carol's Daughter
Although, I think that the women at Barry's Good Job Braiding on St. Nicholas Ave. do a better job and are cheaper, Chloe complains that they hurt her scalp.  Feeling like I had no other option, I made an appointment at Carol's Daughter for after brunch.  I should have known that something was wrong when the receptionist could not find my information in my computer when I probably have spent over $1000.00 in that place.

When we arrived it appeared as if the receptionist could not find the appointment, and they quoted me a ridiculous price.  When I asked about the lack of consistency with pricing the receptionist agreed to take 20.00 off the quoted price.  We sat down to wait and after 30 minutes the receptionist took out a comb and began to braid Chloe's hair!  My poor baby sat on a stool instead of in a salon chair and patiently endured it.  Neither of us was thrilled with the style, but Chloe looked into the mirror, told herself that she was cute,  and willed herself into liking it.   She is truly a wondrous child.  Seriously, I think that if she had complained that would have sent me over the edge.

Chloe and Tahira Hanging out at Brunch pre-Carol's Daughter!
I understand that people make mistakes but this level of service would not be acceptable on the Upper  West Side or in SoHo and it should not be accepted in Harlem.  I'm currently thinking about my next move.  Any advice?


No comments:

Post a Comment