Saturday, December 20, 2014

No Filter

When your manicurist tells you that you need to stop getting gel manicures and your hair stylist tells you that you need to go natural there's clearly a problem.  When beauty professionals start turning down money it is a sure sign that you are doing too much and need to stop! I was in need of a break from the blow-driers, flat-irons, and UV lights.  It was time for a MAKE-UNDER!
Made Under for the Summer!
My dresses, heels, jewels, and make-up were both armor and costume at The Storefront.  The past two years were particularly difficult: my classroom was taken away, and my position as Summer School Director was re-structured.   Meanwhile, I was given more classes to teach and less time to do it in.  On a good day I felt unappreciated, and on a bad day I felt as if people were trying to get me to quit a job that I loved (and was good at).   Nevertheless, my ego would not allow anyone to see me looking defeated.  I went by the mantra "you can feel bad, but you can't look bad."  So I purposely overdressed for work: animal print calf-hair pumps, wrap dresses, and statement necklaces were part of my wardrobe rotation.  A matte red lip and brightly colored nails completed the look.  Someone once told me that I looked like I was going to a ball, and I took that as a compliment!

I enjoyed dressing up and it definitely improved my mood, but part of it was tongue in cheek.  If students wanted to fail to do their homework, act a fool, and put on a show: I was dressed for it.  If an adult wanted to act as if my opinions and institutional memory didn't matter: I was going to be impossible to ignore.   I rolled my eyes at the idea of Dress Down Day and instituted Dress Up Day.  I was part literary scholar, part drag queen- and my students were in on the joke.  They happily joined in on photo-shoots, critiqued my hair color (they liked it "orange" the best), and began imitating my over the top gestures and expressions.  At one point I had a "Hot Mess Alert" (one of Chloe's baby toys) that I used in class.  When a student did something foolish the kids would yell out "Hot Mess Alert!!!!" and I would ring the bell like I was the host of The Gong Show!
We must not have been doing grammar that day!
We laughed and we cried, and I survived the school year.  Unfortunately, my hair was over processed and falling out and my nails were thin and breaking.  It seems as if the stress and the fabulosity I used to mask it had come at a price.  On a whim I decided to have a Americanah moment and get my hair braided like Chloe's.  I had worn braids for years as a child and young woman, and I loved the idea of not having to deal with my hair in the morning.

Returning from Ghana circa 1995
I suddenly had free time to go for walks and read in the sun so I ditched the red lipstick and highlighted my newly tanned skin with MAC Oh Baby Lipgloss and Nars Super Orgasm blush.  I switched to Clean and Clear Dual Action moisturizer- a lighter, acne fighting facial lotion and found that I didn't need much concealer.   I gave up getting my nails done, and indulged in more frequent pedicures  (if your toes aren't looking right, people in Harlem will let you know!) My new favorite polish is OPI's Tomorrow Never Dies.

My summer essentials

While I am enjoying my stripped down look, who knows what will happen in September.  Will I  give up my Jungle Red Lipstick in favor of a creamy neutral? Will I invest in a pair of pants and save my jewels for special occasions?  Probably not.  As William Shakespeare said "all the world's a stage . . ."
But you never know, this dreamy hair just might be in my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment