Saturday, December 20, 2014

Things I Actually Like

Contrary to the way that it may appear on this blog, I am not always ranting about popular culture. Here is a list of things that I think are just great:

Prosecco and St. Germain: Some days I take my cues from Toni Morrison and some days I take them from Geneva from Blood Sweat and Heels.  One Sunday I decided to try the cocktail that she ordered on her date, and boy was it yummy; the sweetness of the elderflower cut the dryness of the Prosecco. It is the perfect Spring cocktail. 


(A note to all of the waiters and waitresses in NYC: When I order a drink do not put the order in with the bartender and then come back to me and tell me how much the drink costs. You may mean well, but if I ordered it I can afford it- even if you are clearly over charging me).


Pharrell Williams's GIRL: When I was in middle school choosing between being a Prince fan and a Michael Jackson fan was a rite of passage. I love that this album doesn't force you to make a choice. The music references both artists in a way that is both fun and fresh.  I didn't want to like GIRL because of the less than inclusive album cover. (In his defense, Pharrell says that the girl second from left is black). However, I was seduced by the single Happy and the rest of the album did not disappoint. My favorite songs are Brand New, Hunter, and Lost Queen. Let's hope that there are some brown girls in the music videos.


The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson: Several people from vastly different backgrounds recommended this book to me. I started reading the hardcover version but couldn't get into it. I bought the Kindle edition and am finding it much easier to enjoy.  I am less than half way through the book because it is so amazing that I'm purposely reading it slowly, discussing it with Carol, and plotting how I can use it in my classes.  The Warmth of Other Suns is what history should be: at once personal and universal. It is profoundly accessible to readers of varied interests, and the writing is amazing; imagine a night sky being described as black velvet. I love the way Wilkerson connects The Great Migration of African Americans to other migrations throughout history.  



Plus, I get a kick out of how much the author looks like my cousin Jenifer!


Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom:
This movie seems to have been in and out of the theaters in no time and I'm not sure why, especially in light of Mandela's recent death. What is unique and refreshing about this film is that it is one of the few movies about Africa that is actually about black people and not the emotional development or spiritual enlightenment of whites. Furthermore, contrary to some reviews, I did not think that the film depicted Mandela as a saint. The dynamics between Nelson and Winnie Mandela were particularly interesting. In some ways, Winnie Mandela, played by Naomie Harris, is the really star of the film. Sorry Idris.


House of Cards: This show is a cynical yet sophisticated take on Washington politics. It makes you think about the system and the character of the people who operate within the system. Why is is it that the person next in line for the presidency in the case of impeachment or death is not directly elected by the American people? What lies beneath Frank's ambition? Does he have authentic relationships or are individuals pawns in his game that are used and then discarded? And most importantly, will Remy make it onto the next season with his fine self, and what chic outfit will Claire have on next?


Studio Museum in Harlem: Chloe and I are always looking for fun things to do on the weekend.  Thanks to Target, The Studio Museum is free on Sundays. I usually create a scavenger hunt for Chloe to do as we move through the exhibits.  Chloe loves to visit the art workshops designed for children and families. Check out the "Draped Down" exhibit about fashion's influence on art.


No comments:

Post a Comment