Sunday, December 21, 2014

What About Justice?

Here is what I was thinking about as I was in the shower this morning, "should I continue with my lesson on the geography of Ancient Greece or should I talk about Eric Garner?"  Since I am not planning on taking Chloe to any of the demonstrations happening around the city, I figured that this was my way of contributing to the struggle.  Below are brief descriptions of the two activities that I did with my students today.



What's Going on in this Photo?

Photos: Reuters
In the 6th grade we have been studying the concept of irony; irony can be difficult to identify and define for adults so I try to point out examples from real life as often as I can.  This lesson required students to do a close reading of a photograph in the same way they would do a close reading of a paragraph.  Students were instructed to do the following:
  • Copy the definition of irony from the board.  List two examples of irony from short stories that we have read.
  • Look at the following photograph, and describe what they think is going on.  Write down specific details that answer the following question words:
Who 
What 
When 
Where
Why
How
(Student responses to this were interesting; some students thought that the picture described a "riot," "mass suicide," or "meditation."  A small minority knew what was actually happening).


Next, students listened as I explained the death of Eric Garner and the Grand Jury's decision not to indict.  In my first class, many students were horrified, but were hesitant to say that race played a part in the killing or the decision not to indict. 

When I questioned them further and mentioned the recent Ferguson decision one person described it as a "coincidence," and referred to "black self-pity," while another began to talk about "black on black" crime.  When I invited them to think about why there were no black students in their class, one student indignantly asked "what about Justice?" referring to the single black student in the 6th grade (who is not even in our class.)  

I had to channel my inner Claire Huxtable this morning.  Photo: Tumblr
In my second class, students were outraged and  talked about hearing the protesters outside of their apartment buildings.  Finally, we tackled the issue of irony.   Students pointed out the the American Flag, black police officer, and the white protesters.

A Tale of Two Speeches

Photo: The New York Post
This lesson was an effective way to have students identify main idea, summarize, and analyze tone and body language in public speeches.  Students were instructed to:
  • Watch Mayor de Blasio's speech reacting to the decision not to indict Eric Garner.
  • Write four bullet points summarizing the main points of the speech.
  • Watch President Obama's speech reacting to the decision not to indict Eric Garner.
  • Write four bullet points summarizing the main ideas of the speech.
  • Write a persuasive paragraph explaining why one speech was more effective than the other, taking both content and delivery into account.  
According to the 6th grade, there was not a clear winner, but both men were critiqued for not offering any concrete solutions.   Personally, I thought that de Blasio gave the better speech.  Quite ironic; don't you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment