Sunday, May 3, 2015

Adventures in Brooklyn

My friends know that I don't like to travel.  I like being in new places; I just don't like the effort that it takes to get there (especially if it involves long rides on the train).   I am aware of how obnoxious that sounds, but the idea of being far from home gives me anxiety. Luckily, Chloe is brave and she inspires me to make the best of my weekends.  Our plan this Saturday was to attend Juliana's 30th birthday party, so we decided to meet up with Jennifer first and squeeze in other Brooklyn activities.  

Our first stop was Zaaz Pizza at 766 Classon (between St. Johns and Sterling).  Zaaz is a relaxed, family-friendly spot with outdoor seating.  Since we were pretending it was summer, we started with lemonade served with fresh mint and an argula and beet salad (next time I will order it without the walnuts).  Then we ordered a pizza that Jennifer, Chloe, and I could share.  Jennifer doesn't eat meat, and I don't think that pizza is worth having unless there is some form of pork on it.  As a compromise, we chose a  pizza that was half spinach and mushrooms and  half pepperoni, pickled jalapeños, and sunflower honey (known as The Stolen).  The Stolen was so good that I am still thinking about it a day later.  The crust was thin and crispy and the toppings were the perfect combination of salty and sweet.  Who knew that honey on pizza would be so good?  The owner recommends The Potato (creme fraiche, white cheddar, applewood bacon) and East Meets West (spicy tomato sauce, sweet soy chicken, water chestnut, fresh mozzarella, and sesame seeds).  He is also a Toni Morrison fan, so we will definitely be back!



On the short walk from Zaaz to The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, we spotted this mural.  Jennifer is the only person who loves a photo shoot more than I do- so of course we had to stop and take pictures.  


I was super excited to go to The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens Gardens because, after weeks of waiting, I finally got my IDNYC card.  I applied for a free membership to The Gardens and was able to see the Cherry Blossoms without paying the twelve dollar admissions fee.  

We came for the cherry blossoms, but the real treat were the tulips.  Tulips are my favorite flowers so it was amazing to see rows and rows of them in every color and variety imaginable.  I look forward to going back when it is less crowded (Saturday was a madhouse) and visiting the Japanese garden.
While we were at The Botanic Gardens my phone died (the horror) so many of the pictures in this post were taken by Jennifer.
Feeling handicapped, yet undeterred, we left the gardens and went to see the Basquiat: The Unknown Notebooks exhibit at The Brooklyn Museum.  The crowds were intense and Chloe was hungry and cold so we breezed through the exhibit.  Luckily, I applied for a free membership with my IDNYC card so I can go back during the week once school ends (four weeks and counting . . .).
A Little Taste of Outside Love, by Mickalene Thomas
Grey Area, Fred Wilson
After leaving the museum, we took a short cab ride to Madiba, where we feasted on cheese, vegetable samosas, prawns, and a hamburger for Chloe.  The decor of the restaurant was colorful and fun and the crowd was diverse.  I look forward to visiting the Harlem location.

Unfortunately, I couldn't access Juliana's address because by phone was dead so we weren't able to make it to the party.  Our last stop before getting on the subway was Donut Plant. A few bites of the Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam donut were all that I needed to give me the strength to get on the D train.  Brooklyn, I'll be back!







No comments:

Post a Comment