Sunday, May 17, 2015

Unbeweaveable: How to Get a Good Weave for Less Than $150


A full head sew-in weave is a great option when I want to give my real hair a rest from chemicals, heat, and everyday manipulation.  Unfortunately, the fear of looking like Britney Spears has led me to spend way too much on my hair.  Here are some tips that I have picked up on how to get an affordable, realistic-looking weave.
No Ma'am
       Start With the Right Hair: According to Mikita, the authority on all things hair related,  having a good weave is 80% about the hair.  It is best to use 100% human hair that comes from one donor and has not been chemically altered.  Unfortunately human hair can be ridiculously expensive, sometimes over $300.00 a bundle.  I like Indique Hair's lower priced Sea Collection which is marketed as South East Asian hair, rather than Indian hair.  I use the 10 inch Tahitian Wave, which costs $85 dollars for 3.2 ounces.  My real hair is relaxed, but it blends perfectly with this texture.  It also can be worn curly or straight.
      Only Buy As Much As You Need: Most hair- dressers say that you need a least 2  bundles of hair for a full head sew-in.  However, the women that I know who have the best looking  weaves only use one bundle.  I have a HUGE head and I only have a little more than a bundle in my hair.  If you buy good hair, you can use the same tracks for multiple installations.  Therefore, once you have made the initial investment all you have to pay for is getting it put in.  Make sure that your stylist washes, conditions, and detangles the hair before she installs it.

      Find the Right Stylist:  Installation can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be.  A few weeks ago I discovered Wicked Weaves on Adam Clayton Blvd (between 138th and 139th).  They use the double-track method in which they sew two tracks of hair per braid.  The weave took a little over two hours and only cost $50!  It looks exactly the same as when I paid five times that amount getting it put in. 
      Keep it Clean: Wash and condition your weave at least once a week, making sure to rinse all of the conditioner out in the shower.  Don’t use too much product or your hair will look dull.  I use a little Aveda Brilliant Finishing Gloss on my real hair (around my part and hairline) and that’s it!













No comments:

Post a Comment