Monday, May 18, 2015

IDNYC Obsessed!


After waiting by the mailbox for over a month, I’m finally taking advantage of my IDNYC card.  I have already applied for membership at The Brooklyn Museum, The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, and The Studio Museum in Harlem.  Today after Chloe’s dental appointment (no cavities!) we walked across the park and visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art.   We skipped the long line of people waiting to make the “suggested donation” of $25 and walked right up to The Membership Desk.  We got our card right away (no temporary card, or waiting for membership materials that take weeks to arrive). Since there is no cost for children under 12, Chloe and I got into the museum for free!  

Since I love African-American art, our first stop was the Lila Acheson Wallace Wing for Modern and Contemporary Art to see Aaron Douglas’s painting “Let My People Go,” which was recently acquired by the MET.  
"Let My People Go," Aaron Douglas 

Next, Chloe and I headed to the Rooftop Garden to see this year’s comission by Pierre Huyghe.  I didn’t think that the installation was as interesting as in years past, but Chloe was enthralled.  The focal point of the exhibit is a large fish-tank like structure with a rock and several small creatures inside of it.  The glass of the tank periodically becomes frosted and opaque which surprised and delighted her.

For lunch, we shared a delicious turkey sandwich with cheddar cheese, apple, and spicy mustard.  There is a Rooftop Bar that offers virgin ($6) and alcoholic ($15) cocktails.  I had an Aqueduct which was a combination of Watermelon, Ginger, and Lime.  I look forward to trying the Cypress, which is described as a blend of Blackberry, Lime-Shrub, and Pomegranate, and the  Anubis, which is Jasmine Tea, Lemongrass, and Mint.  There is also a selection of wine and beer.  I should have asked if there was a member discount at the bar!


No comments:

Post a Comment