Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Dish: The Handpulled Noodle and Streetbird

I am lucky that Chloe has an adventurous palate.  On Saturday we had South African food at Madiba, and on Sunday we decided to try "North Western Chinese Soul Food" at  The Handpulled Noodle on Broadway between 148th and 149th Street. 



Located between a Dominican barbershop and a tattoo parlor, The Handpulled Noodle is small and frequently crowded with with locals and food tourists alike. You pick a style of noodle and then decide whether you would like it prepared in soup or stir fried with meat and vegetables.  Patrons are encouraged to eat their food in the restaurant in order to appreciate the unique taste of the handmade noodles.  

Chloe and I ordered scallion pancakes, pork dumplings, and chopped noodles with chicken and mixed vegetables.  The scallion pancakes were nothing that you couldn't find at Emperor Schezuan.  The dumplings were better, juicy and flavorful inside,  with no need for a separate dipping sauce.  The noodles were rich and spicy, but Chloe thought that they were too doughy.  The food was pretty heavy so I wouldn't frequent this place, but the Lychee Pekoe Black Tea was worth going back for.

Lychee and Chrysanthemum Tea
Ding Dong Noodles with Chicken Stir-Fry
The next day, James and I decided to try Marcus Samuelsson's new restaurant Streetbird.  I was excited to visit because I love the decor of his places. We were lead to great seats right away and the decor didn't disappoint- think 80's hip-hop chic.   Everywhere that you look there is color: on the walls, the chairs, and the menu.  I loved the practical detail of the paper towel rack connected to the table.  I appreciate that Marcus Samuelsson hired a diverse waitstaff and that neighborhood people seem to frequent Streetbird.  It prevents the place from feeling too staged, like Disneyland in blackface. 



Unfortunately, the first disappointment was actually the drinks. Don't get me excited about a glass of Jam Jar if you don't have it!
This is the best wine ever!
Furthermore, if I am paying twelve dollars for a glass of wine, I do not want it served in a plastic cup (regardless of how cute the cup is). It may sound silly, but wine just doesn't taste the same in plastic.  Either that, or my Cava was just warm and flat.  James got a speciality cocktail and he wasn't thrilled with it either.  And if James only orders one drink, you know there's a problem . . .


For food, I ordered french fries and chicken wings and James ordered a chicken sandwich.  Both meals were mediocre, but thankfully not expensive.  I was not exactly surprised, as the food at Red Rooster can be inconsistent.  However, there are certain things at Red Rooster that you know will be good (the drinks, chicken wings and cornbread).  Hopefully, there are those things on Streetbird's menu that I have yet to discover because it is a place that would be fun to visit again with a group of friends.



I







1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this blog.. I want to try this hand pulled noodle place too.. Sounds great..

    ReplyDelete